Tuesday, May 31, 2016

The Best Men's Weiss Watches for Under...

Weiss Watch Company is one of the several new and up-n-coming American watchmakers who appear to be taking a very serious approach to watchmaking.  They began in 2013, in California, by a California native, named Cameron Weiss.  He is a WOSTEP certified watchmaker, and had had extensive training from Audemars Piguet, and Vacheron Constantin, both highly respected luxury watchmaking companies.

Currently, Weiss is one of the only American watchmakers who design, engineer and manufacture their own cases and dials, and hand finish each and every movement.  Their watches are made to be heirlooms, and have a timeless style about them, that speaks to the idea of a heirloom that can be passed down for generations.

They not only use modern day technology in their manufacturing process, but also turn to the tried an true methods that have proven to make wonderful timepieces for hundreds of years.

I cannot say enough nice things about this company.  This list will not be extremely long, but that is mostly due to the smaller quantity of offerings Weiss has on the market today.  All these watches are wonderful, and I hope you can enjoy them as much as I doo.



The Best Men's Weiss Watches for Under...




The best men's Weiss watch for under 1000 dollars

Standard Issue Field Watch
Model:
Case: 42 mm/Stainless steel
Band Width: 20 mm, Canvase
Movement: Weiss Caliber 1001 Mechanical
Features: HH, MM, SS
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 100M/330 ft

The Standard Issue Field Watch is the first Weiss watch I would like to cover today.  This watch has made my lists before.  It was on the 5 best men's watches for under 1000 dollars.  It also made one of the best men's American watches for under lists.  And It might very well have been my favorite watch on that list.  I love this watch, and if I would have known of Weiss before I got my Shinola, I do think this might have been the watch I would have purchased instead.  It has a similar look to the Shinola Runwell, but only in passing.  It is a field watch, and looks like a field watch.

The case of the watch is fairly large, measuring 42mm in diameter.  It is made of stainless steel, which is standard practice for most watches on the market.  Stainless holds up very well to daily abuse.  The watch has a prominent crown located at the 3 o'clock position.  The bezel is smooth, with a rounded finish, and the watch sports sapphire lenses on both the front and back, allowing you to see the movement in action.  The dial face of the watch is white, with an outer ring of Arabic numerals indicating the minutes, in 5 minute intervals, as well as an inner ring of Arabic numerals, marking the hours.  The numerals are all black.  There is a small seconds sub dial located at the 9 o'clock position and the hands of the watch are white, outlined in black, in a sword shape.  The band of the watch is canvas, and durable, with a buckle style clasp.

The movement is a mechanical movement.  Weiss calibre 1001.  This is a modified ETA 6497.  IT has 17 jewels, and runs at 18,000 bph.  It has a 46 hour power reserve.  It shows up in Hamilton watches as well as Panerai, and Steinhart, giving you an idea of the level of watches that are using this movement.

The Standard Issue Field watch is a wonderful looking watch, in my mind.  And if I have my way, I will own one at some point in my life.  The fact that it is American made always rings a cord with me, as well as the looks and quality of the watch.  Weiss sells the watch on their company website for around 950 dollars, and it fairs very well with the other 1000 dollar watches I  have reviewed in the past.


The Weiss is a really nice watch to me, I have to say I love the fact that it is made in America.  I am excited to see that more and more watchmakers are slowly coming back to the US.  They sell their watches on the Weiss website for 950 dollars.  If I would have seen this one before the Shinola, I might have opted for this one. Even though Shinola's are made in my own home state.



The best men's Weiss watch for under 2000 dollars

Special Issue Field Watch Carbon Dial
Model:
Case: 42 mm/Stainless steel
Band Width: Leather
Movement: Weiss Caliber 1001 Mechanical
Features: HH, MM, SS
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 100M/330 ft

There are several Special Issue field watches offered by Weiss.  Dimensionaly, they are all the same as the standard issue.  They use the same case, but variations are present in other locations of the watch.

There is really no point to go into an elaborate description of all the specifications of this watch, which are all very much the same as the standard issue.  So I will instead, give you the variations only.

First off.  The watch dial is machined naval brass finished carbon, with high stealth, black Arabic numerals.  The hands are also different.  using a skeletonized black hand, with a sharp point at the tip.  the band of the watch also gets an upgrade, using leather instead of the canvas of the standard issue.

The watch is available on the Weiss website as well, and is listed for 1250 dollars.  Well under the 2000 dollar price point of this specific part of the list.  I think the additional 300 dollars is apparent in the materials, and unique hands of the watch.  Also, it should be noted that all Weiss watches come with a 2 year Company warranty.



The best men's Weiss watch for under 10,000 dollars

Executive Issue Field Watch 18K Gold
Model:
Case: 42 mm/18K gold
Band Width: Leather
Movement: Weiss Caliber 1001 Mechanical
Features: HH, MM, SS
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 100M/330 ft

The Executive Issue Field watch, again is really no different from a style and size standpoint, from the standard issue.  It all makes perfect sense really.  They are all issued field watches, the only real difference will be the quality of the materials used to make the watches.

The Executive Issue Field watch is a beauty.  It is available, for the same price, with both a white dial, and a black dial.  I am listing the white dial, simply because it appeals to me more than the black.  There is no difference in the valuation of the watch, it is personal preference only.

The 42mm case is made of 18K yellow gold this time.  The crown, as well, is made of 18K yellow gold.  It has the same white face as the Standard issue, made of Machined naval brass with a white finish, and black Arabic numerals.  The hands are also the sword shaped hands, with white super-luminova paint imbued in the center of the hands.  The band of the watch is black Horween Shell Cordovan, and has a 18K gold buckle.

The watch is listed for 6950 dollars on the Weiss website.  The watch is beautiful.  I am not generally a huge yellow gold person, but I think this watch is so well done.  I could not refuse it.



Wrap Up

I know that there is not a whole lot of variation to this list.  It is one of those lists I had to debate with myself, as to whether or not I would actually make it.  As a blogger, repetition is not usually something you really want to make a common place on your blogs.  People begin to wonder if you are phoning it in.  But look at these three watches and tell me that each and every one of them are not some of the nicest looking watches you have ever seen before.  And, of course, the company is young, and I would like people to be aware of them.  They are doing great things and making great products.

0 comments:

Post a Comment