Monday, February 1, 2016

The 5 Best Men's Watches for Under 1000 Dollars

This is exciting for me, I cannot tell a lie.  I have not been in a position to spend much over 500 dollars for a watch, the Shinola being my biggest purchase at this time, so to watch shop for watches for 1,000 dollars is fun. It makes me drool just a little bit.

I was thinking, that for The 5 Best Men's Watches for Under 1000 dollars, I am, again going to look for brands from around the world.  Finding the very best men's watches I can come up with.  I love the Russian and German Watches, and maybe we will even stumble across an honest to goodness American watch.  We will just have to wait and see...

1,000 dollars is a substantial investment for someone like me, so, I will do my due diligence to find the best watches available.

The 5 Best Men's Watches for Under 1000 Dollars


Weiss Watch Co

Standard Issue Field Watch
Model:
Case: 42 mm/Stainless steel
Band Width: 20 mm, Canvase
Movement: Weiss Caliber 1001 Mechanical
Features: HH, MM, SS
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 100M/330 ft

Weiss might very well be the most American watch you can buy today.  The majority of the movement parts are Swiss made, but the entire movement is supposed to be build here, in California.  Along with the case, and dial and everything else being made in America.  In my personal opinion, that carries a lot of weight.

Initially, since I own a Shinola, I thought I would give this spot to the Shinola company.  But Shinola still only offer Quartz movements.  That's not terrible.  I own one so I obviously am not Anti-Quartz, but, generally speaking, I want mechanical.

That all being said, the Weiss Standard Issue Field watch is not going to be all flash and sizzle.  It has a very unassuming look.  But it is a well built watch by an american company that I expect to only grow.

The watch consists of a 42mm stainless steel case case, with a crown at the 3 o'clock position.  The front and back are covered with sapphire lenses. The dial is white, with an outer ring of Arabic numerals for the minute marking, and an inner ring of Arabic numerals for the hours.  There is a small seconds sub dial at the 9 oclock position.  The hour and minute hands are black with lumination imbued in them for nighttime reading.  The watch comes with a NATO canvas band, with a buckle style clasp.

The Movement is a Weiss, mechanical movement, calibre 1001.  It is a ETA 6497 base.  17 Jewels, running at 18,000 vph.  It has a 46 hour power reserve, and it is a hand wound type of mechanical movement.

The Weiss is a really nice watch to me, I have to say I love the fact that it is made in America.  I am excited to see that more and more watchmakers are slowly coming back to the US.  They sell their watches on their own website for 950 dollars.  If I would have seen this one before the Shinola, I might have opted for this one. Even though Shinola's are made in my own home state.



Hamilton Watch

Titanium Auto
Model: H70575733
Case: 42 mm, Titanium
Band width: 20 mm, Nylon
Movement: ETA 2824-2 Automatic movement
Functions: HH, MM, SS, Date
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 100M/330 ft

Hamilton makes pretty good watches.  At first I was having a hard time with this company, because it was originally an american company that was purchased by the Swatch Co.  And is no longer made in america.  But, I have softened.

The Titanium Auto Field watch is nice.  It has a 42mm Titanium case, with the crown at the 3 o'clock position.  It has a sapphire lens covering the black dial face.  The face has an outer ring of Arabic numerals showing the minute markers, a middle ring of Arabic numerals indicating the hours, and an inner ring of numerals, indicating a 24 hour clock.  There is a date window at the 3 o'clock position and the hour and minute hands are umbued with lumination.  It also has a NATO canvas band with a buckle style clasp.

The Movement is an automatic ETA 2824-2.  It has 25 jewels, and it is a automatic, and runs at 28,800 vph.

It is unique with the Titanium case.  It has a ETA movement made by the Swatch Company, it has a Sapphire face, and a nylon wrapped leather band.  The watch looks great, and is a very nice daily driver.  It is black and easy to read.  I could not help but put it on my list.  It is a quality watch and well priced at about 695 dollars on Amazon.



Victorinox

Alliance Mechanical
Model: 241666
Case: 40 mm, Stainless steel
Movement: Mechanical self winding movement
Functions: HH, MM, SS, Date
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 100M/330 ft

The Victorinox Alliance Mechanical, like the Hamilton and Weiss, is not a flashy watch.  It doesn't need to be.  It is build strong, and built well.  It shares the same movement with the Hamilton.

It is a 40mm stainless steel case, with the crown at the 3 o'clock position.  It has a Sapphire lens on both the front and back of the watch.  It has a silver dial face with Arabic numberals at the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions, with a Victorinox sheild at the 12 o'clock position.  The hands are polished steel and there is a date window at the 6 o'clock position.  It has a leather band with a buckle style clasp.

The movement is a automatic version,  I didn't find a model number for it though.  I assume it is probably an ETA, but I am unsure as of this time.

This watch has a really clean look.  And it is made by a company know for building quality product.  It is a solid choice for under 1000 dollars, and if you want to save a little money, you can often find last years models for under 500 dollars.

New, the watch runs around 750 dollars at sites like Amazon.



Dievas

Vintage
Model: 3646
Case: 47 mm, Stainless steeel
Band: Leather
Movement: Unitas Mechanical 6497 (Hand winding)
Functions: HH, MM
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 30M/100ft.

Dievas is a company that really has not made any of my lists in the past, I believe.  If so, I apologize for the abundance.  But they are a fairly new company, only being founded in 2006 in Germany.  They are putting together some very nice components in a very stylish package.  I couldn't help but put them on this list.

The Vintage is a total retro watch.  The case is a bit on the big size, at 47mm.  It is made of stainless steel in a square shape, with the crown at the 3 o'clock position.  The black face is fairly simple, with Arabic numerals at the 3, 6, 9, and 12 o'clock positions, and luminated hour and minute hands.  The lens is a sapphire, on both the front and the back, and the leather band has a buckle style clasp.

It uses a Unitas mechanical movement #6467, which is a 17 jewel, hand winding style movement.

It is a cool watch.  And on top of that, it is a watch you will not find easily.  There is a few Dievas watches on Amazon.  But you may have better luck with Long Island Watch.  On Long Island it runs for around 890 dollars.



Magrette

Leoncino
Model:
Case: 42 mm, Stainless steel
Band:
Movement: Myota 9015 self winding w/hacking second
Functions: HH, MM, SS
Battery: N/A
Water resistance: 200M/600 ft

I have not had a Magrette watch on any of my lists yet.  Mostly because they are a smaller company, that gears their watches towards diving and active lifestyle.  Similar to Momentum, but probably on a higher scale.

Magrette is located in New Zealand,  They are like a lot of the companies that made this list and the under 500 dollar list.  They don't make many of their own parts, but purchase high quality parts to build their watches.

The most unique part of these watches is their water resistance.  The Leoncino is not even near to being the highest rated and this one can go 600ft.  They have some watches rates over 1000 ft deep.  And these are under 1000 dollar watches.

Another unique thing about Magrette is they only release their watches on limited editions.  They may only make 1000 of these watches, or less, and once they are gone, that is all there will be.  This gives you a chance to own low quantity build watch.

The Leoncino has a square case, and see through back.  Both lenses are Sapphire, and extremely strong.  The watch has a very vintage look to it, and should be extremely durable.

It is a great looking watch, and it can be had well under 1000 dollars, being available on the Magrette site for around 625 dollars.  I think this might be a best buy at that price.



Wrap up

I hope you have enjoyed The 5 best men's watches under 1000 dollars.  I enjoyed searching through watches for hours, to put it together.  And I hope you all come back for my future posts.  I will be covering higher price ranges, and very specific types of watches in the weeks to come.

It was nice to dig up some lesser known companies for this list.  I hope this helps broaden your horizons, I think all of these companies have very bright futures, and I particularly am fond of Weiss, if you haven't noticed. It is one of the reasons I started the best men's watches under.

0 comments:

Post a Comment